Draft minutes 2010-04-21

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:56:35 -0400
To: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Enclosed are draft minutes from 2010-04-21 teleconference. HTML
follows text. Thanks to Claes for scribing.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

# Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

## 21 Apr 2010

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch, Dzung_Tran, Wonsuk_Lee, Max_Froumentin,
Alissa_Cooper, Suresh_Chitturi, Ilkka_Oksanen, Claes_Nilsson,
Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, DanielColoma, Anssi_Kostiainen, Maria_Oteo

Regrets

    John_Morris, Marco_Marengo, Laura__Arribas, David_Rogers, Marcin_Hanclik,
tlr

Chair

    Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    Claes

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Administrative][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [Policy discussion][8]

    4. [APIs][9]

  * [Summary of Action Items][10]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 21 April 2010

### Administrative

<scribe> scribenick: Claes

IRC web client updated. New link at DAP page

<fjh> web based IRC client updated [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member
/member-device-apis/2010Apr/0007.html][11]

### Minutes approval

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/att-0049/minutes-2010-04-14.html][12]

**RESOLUTION: April 14 Minutes approved**

### Policy discussion

<fjh> Privacy rulesets

Alissa: Fine for WD ?

<fjh> Editorial update - ReSpec conversion
<[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0070.html>][13]

Fjh: Wants policy req and ruleset as WD simultaneously

... still some actions on Alissa and John on priv reqs

<fjh> alissa asks if we need to clarify rulesets before FPWD of policy
rulesets

<fjh> I suggest we try to have FPWD of both privacy requirements and policy
rulesets at same time, ask that focus now on actions related to privacy
requiremetns

<fjh> action-153?

<trackbot> ACTION-153 -- Alissa Cooper to refine privacy requirements (with
John) -- due 2010-04-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/153][14]

<fjh> action-158?

<trackbot> ACTION-158 -- John Morris to send proposed changes to list re
privacy requirements -- due 2010-04-14 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/158][15]

<fjh> action-112?

<trackbot> ACTION-112 -- Alissa Cooper to separate privacy requirements on UA
from other privacy requirements (on APIs, for user policies, and for best
practices for recipients) -- due 2010-03-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/112][16]

<fjh> alissa notes privacy requirements on APIs versus UA requirements

Need to define how ruleset is used, not API specific req

<fjh> action-112 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-112 Separate privacy requirements on UA from other privacy
requirements (on APIs, for user policies, and for best practices for
recipients) closed

<fjh> Privacy section for API documents

<fjh> action-116?

<trackbot> ACTION-116 -- Bryan Sullivan to provide input on DCO mapping for
SysInfo -- due 2010-03-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/116][17]

<darobin> [I note that the editors for the privacy requirements document
aren't the right ones]

<fjh> Phrase the temporary privacy section

<fjh> action-130?

<trackbot> ACTION-130 -- Richard Tibbett to propose changes to calendar
specification to address privacy minimization -- due 2010-03-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/130][18]

fjh: FPWD early next month

<fjh> Richard is starting with contacts should be applicable to calendar

Rich: Dealing with "Privacy by design section in contacts. Needs to be dealt
with also in cal

### APIs

Dom: Wants not to bundle policy reqs and rule set

<fjh> goal is to let people know of rulesets and approach

Dom: suggests to publich privacy reqs when done

fjh: Wants to get peoples attention and feedback

<darobin> [feedback from the TAG?]

<fjh> dom suggests getting feedback from html cg, webapps and internally in WG
first before FPWD

<fjh> dom notes requirements doc can link to rulesets doc

fjh: Have a problem with publish a req doc with issues and no proposal for a
solution.

... Focus more on privacy doc

<fjh> alissa notes need stated requirements on retention, secondary use

Messaging

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0069.html][19]

<dom> [Last week discussions on messaging][20]

Discussion on publishing

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to say he doesn't think we've addressed his concern
about scoping

Darobin: Suggest moving Messaging to FPWD

<dom> ACTION-161?

<trackbot> ACTION-161 -- Max Froumentin to make a proposal for Message
Management, including whether it would be split from the main spec or not --
due 2010-04-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/161][21]

<fjh> suresh asks about supporting inspection, is it the same as message
management

<fjh> robin notes yes

Suresh: Message (folder) managment to be included before FPWD?

Suresh suggests that we should wait until Max has made a proposal for message
management.

<fjh> s/fjh: Topic APIs//

Max: Ok

Daniel: Feedback from Bondi: Decided to merge messaging API and folder
management.

<darobin> ACTION daniel to email the list explaining the differences between
the successive BONDI approaches to messaging, and why the functionality got
merged into a single API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-164 - Email the list explaining the differences
between the successive BONDI approaches to messaging, and why the
functionality got merged into a single API [on Daniel Coloma - due
2010-04-28].

<fjh> Timezoned dates - [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0051.html][22]

Calendar Time zones and dates

<dom> (I prefer solution #2 in Richard's summary, but then, that's my proposal
:) )

<fjh> didn't we decide earlier that we wanted to be REST compatible in our
APIs?

Rich: Two proposals. Need decsion. Blocking cal API.

... Needs feedback on preferred solution.

<dom> [this relates to ISSUE-81]

<dom> (there is more than end and start; recurrence rules, for instance)

<dom> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0206.html][23]

Rich: 3rd option, Rich can you state this in IRC?

<darobin> [I agree with Dom's feedback on this one]

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to say we should strive to make developers' life
easier, rather than implementers or ourselves

<Suresh> Suresh: A 3rd proposal would be to specify a tz attribute in the
Event interface

Dom: We should make a solution that is easier for developers

<darobin> "In case of conflict, consider users over authors over implementors
over specifiers over theoretical purity."

<darobin> [][24]

Rich: Provide feedback on list

fjh: Implications on a RESTful approach?

Darobin: Not a big deal

<dom> (and bring it to public-script-coord as well)

Darobin: Suggest put a draft up wth option 2 and get feedbac

<dom> [public-script-coord@w3.org Mail Archives][25]

<darobin> ACTION Robin to take the TZDate discussion to public-script-coord

<trackbot> Created ACTION-165 - Take the TZDate discussion to public-script-
coord [on Robin Berjon - due 2010-04-28].

<dom> ACTION-163?

<trackbot> ACTION-163 -- Robin Berjon to email i18n about the various options
for calendaring -- due 2010-04-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/163][26]

Blocking factors for Cal is timezone issues and internatioization (Gregorian
etc)

File Writer

<dom> [storage for Web APIs][27]

Dom: Long disc in Web Apps on storage for web apps. Also aplicable for File
Writer.

<richt> [calendar] My understanding is that blocking for calendar API is
TimezonedDate object, expressing i18n dates/times and fixing the recurrence
model

Darobin

<richt> [calendar] non-blocking issue is to address minimization in the draft

<fjh> Thanks for scribing Claes.

## Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][28] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][29])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0072.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2010/04/21-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #ActionSummary

   [11]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-
apis/2010Apr/0007.html

   [12]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/att-0049/minutes-2010-04-14.html

   [13]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0070.html>

   [14]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/153

   [15]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/158

   [16]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/112

   [17]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/116

   [18]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/130

   [19]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0069.html

   [20]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/att-0049/minutes-2010-04-14.html#item07

   [21]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/161

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Apr/0051.html

   [23]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-