Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

21 Apr 2010


See also: IRC log


Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch, Dzung_Tran, Wonsuk_Lee, Max_Froumentin, Alissa_Cooper, Suresh_Chitturi, Ilkka_Oksanen, Claes_Nilsson, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, DanielColoma, Anssi_Kostiainen, Maria_Oteo
John_Morris, Marco_Marengo, Laura__Arribas, David_Rogers, Marcin_Hanclik, tlr
Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch


<trackbot> Date: 21 April 2010


<scribe> scribenick: Claes

IRC web client updated. New link at DAP page

<fjh> web based IRC client updated http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2010Apr/0007.html

Minutes approval

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Apr/att-0049/minutes-2010-04-14.html

RESOLUTION: April 14 Minutes approved

Policy discussion

<fjh> Privacy rulesets

Alissa: Fine for WD ?

<fjh> Editorial update - ReSpec conversion <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Apr/0070.html>

Fjh: Wants policy req and ruleset as WD simultaneously
... still some actions on Alissa and John on priv reqs

<fjh> alissa asks if we need to clarify rulesets before FPWD of policy rulesets

<fjh> I suggest we try to have FPWD of both privacy requirements and policy rulesets at same time, ask that focus now on actions related to privacy requiremetns

<fjh> action-153?

<trackbot> ACTION-153 -- Alissa Cooper to refine privacy requirements (with John) -- due 2010-04-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/153

<fjh> action-158?

<trackbot> ACTION-158 -- John Morris to send proposed changes to list re privacy requirements -- due 2010-04-14 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/158

<fjh> action-112?

<trackbot> ACTION-112 -- Alissa Cooper to separate privacy requirements on UA from other privacy requirements (on APIs, for user policies, and for best practices for recipients) -- due 2010-03-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/112

<fjh> alissa notes privacy requirements on APIs versus UA requirements

Need to define how ruleset is used, not API specific req

<fjh> action-112 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-112 Separate privacy requirements on UA from other privacy requirements (on APIs, for user policies, and for best practices for recipients) closed

<fjh> Privacy section for API documents

<fjh> action-116?

<trackbot> ACTION-116 -- Bryan Sullivan to provide input on DCO mapping for SysInfo -- due 2010-03-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/116

<darobin> [I note that the editors for the privacy requirements document aren't the right ones]

<fjh> Phrase the temporary privacy section

<fjh> action-130?

<trackbot> ACTION-130 -- Richard Tibbett to propose changes to calendar specification to address privacy minimization -- due 2010-03-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/130

fjh: FPWD early next month

<fjh> Richard is starting with contacts should be applicable to calendar

Rich: Dealing with "Privacy by design section in contacts. Needs to be dealt with also in cal


Dom: Wants not to bundle policy reqs and rule set

<fjh> goal is to let people know of rulesets and approach

Dom: suggests to publich privacy reqs when done

fjh: Wants to get peoples attention and feedback

<darobin> [feedback from the TAG?]

<fjh> dom suggests getting feedback from html cg, webapps and internally in WG first before FPWD

<fjh> dom notes requirements doc can link to rulesets doc

fjh: Have a problem with publish a req doc with issues and no proposal for a solution.
... Focus more on privacy doc

<fjh> alissa notes need stated requirements on retention, secondary use


<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Apr/0069.html

<dom> Last week discussions on messaging

Discussion on publishing

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to say he doesn't think we've addressed his concern about scoping

Darobin: Suggest moving Messaging to FPWD

<dom> ACTION-161?

<trackbot> ACTION-161 -- Max Froumentin to make a proposal for Message Management, including whether it would be split from the main spec or not -- due 2010-04-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/161

<fjh> suresh asks about supporting inspection, is it the same as message management

<fjh> robin notes yes

Suresh: Message (folder) managment to be included before FPWD?

Suresh suggests that we should wait until Max has made a proposal for message management.

<fjh> s/fjh: Topic APIs//

Max: Ok

Daniel: Feedback from Bondi: Decided to merge messaging API and folder management.

<darobin> ACTION daniel to email the list explaining the differences between the successive BONDI approaches to messaging, and why the functionality got merged into a single API

<trackbot> Created ACTION-164 - Email the list explaining the differences between the successive BONDI approaches to messaging, and why the functionality got merged into a single API [on Daniel Coloma - due 2010-04-28].

<fjh> Timezoned dates - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Apr/0051.html

Calendar Time zones and dates

<dom> (I prefer solution #2 in Richard's summary, but then, that's my proposal :) )

<fjh> didn't we decide earlier that we wanted to be REST compatible in our APIs?

Rich: Two proposals. Need decsion. Blocking cal API.
... Needs feedback on preferred solution.

<dom> [this relates to ISSUE-81]

<dom> (there is more than end and start; recurrence rules, for instance)

<dom> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Mar/0206.html

Rich: 3rd option, Rich can you state this in IRC?

<darobin> [I agree with Dom's feedback on this one]

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to say we should strive to make developers' life easier, rather than implementers or ourselves

<Suresh> Suresh: A 3rd proposal would be to specify a tz attribute in the Event interface

Dom: We should make a solution that is easier for developers

<darobin> "In case of conflict, consider users over authors over implementors over specifiers over theoretical purity."


Rich: Provide feedback on list

fjh: Implications on a RESTful approach?

Darobin: Not a big deal

<dom> (and bring it to public-script-coord as well)

Darobin: Suggest put a draft up wth option 2 and get feedbac

<dom> public-script-coord@w3.org Mail Archives

<darobin> ACTION Robin to take the TZDate discussion to public-script-coord

<trackbot> Created ACTION-165 - Take the TZDate discussion to public-script-coord [on Robin Berjon - due 2010-04-28].

<dom> ACTION-163?

<trackbot> ACTION-163 -- Robin Berjon to email i18n about the various options for calendaring -- due 2010-04-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/163

Blocking factors for Cal is timezone issues and internatioization (Gregorian etc)

File Writer

<dom> storage for Web APIs

Dom: Long disc in Web Apps on storage for web apps. Also aplicable for File Writer.

<richt> [calendar] My understanding is that blocking for calendar API is TimezonedDate object, expressing i18n dates/times and fixing the recurrence model


<richt> [calendar] non-blocking issue is to address minimization in the draft

<fjh> Thanks for scribing Claes.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $