W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > September 2009

Re: Draft Minutes 2009-09-23

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:08:53 +0200
To: Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Message-Id: <1254319733.4708.3689.camel@localhost>
Le mardi 29 septembre 2009 à 09:22 -0400, Frederick Hirsch a écrit :
> Attached are draft minutes from 2009-09-23.

Sending as text so that trackbot can parse their content.

Dom

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

          Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

23 Sep 2009

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Sep/0069.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch, arve, hui_miao, Brian,
          LeRoux, LauraArribas, RobinBerjon, MarcinHanclik,
          IlkkaOksanen, DzungTran, MarcoMarengo, IngmarKliche

   Regrets
          Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Anssi_Kostiainen, maxf

   Chair
          Robin Berjon, Frederick Hirsch

   Scribe
          marcin3, Marcin

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection
         2. [6]Announcements, meeting planning, logistics
         3. [7]Minutes approval
         4. [8]Editorial Team report
         5. [9]Policy Segment
         6. [10]API Segment
         7. [11]AOB
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 23 September 2009

   <brianleroux> hello =)

   <brianleroux> I'm on the call as well.

   <dtran> dtran is Dzung Tran

   <dtran> hello

   <marengo> marengo is Marco Marengo

   <arve> zakim not picking up on people calling in?

   <darobin> this is DAP

   <brianleroux> the bridge is recursive echoing

   <LauraArribas> Preset+ LauraArribas

   <darobin> [13]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/victims-list.html

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/victims-list.html

   <darobin> Scribe: marcin3

   <darobin> Scribe: Marcin

   <darobin> ScribeNick: marcin3

   <darobin> Chair: Frederick, Robin

   <fhirsch>
   [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Sep/0
   069.html

     [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Sep/0069.html

   <darobin>
   [15]http://www.w3.org/mid/48336177-B0CC-456C-A1BF-C276AE299034@nokia
   .com

     [15] http://www.w3.org/mid/48336177-B0CC-456C-A1BF-C276AE299034@nokia.com

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection

   no changes to the agenda

Announcements, meeting planning, logistics

   <Bryan> +1425.214.aaee is Bryan

   <fhirsch>
   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2009Sep/0
   000.html

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2009Sep/0000.html

   <fhirsch>
   [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2009Sep/0
   003.html

     [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2009Sep/0003.html

   reminder to register to TPAC meeting and book the hotel

Minutes approval

   <fhirsch>
   [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Sep/0
   050.html

     [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Sep/0050.html

   resolution: minutes approved

   <darobin> ACTION: robin to link minutes from the group page
   [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action01]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action01

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-14 - Link minutes from the group page [on
   Robin Berjon - due 2009-09-30].

Editorial Team report

   The list of editors was sent

   [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Sep/0
   084.html

     [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Sep/0084.html

   Robin's reSpec.js to get more attention, reviewed. Robin welcomes
   feedback.

   actions discussed, just a few actions are left

Policy Segment

   <fhirsch> issue-18?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-18 -- Determine security policy starting points for
   review and comparison -- RAISED

   <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/18

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/18

   not many changes introduced within 1.01 as compared to 1.0

   <fhirsch> Dom did earlier comparison

   <fhirsch>
   [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Jul/0
   015.html

     [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Jul/0015.html

   FH: questions to the policy
   ... do we want features and capabilities?
   ... BONDI has both
   ... hierarchies of the features

   <dtran> Still unclear the differences

   FH: discussion needed about features and capabilities

   <Bryan> Bryan will help out there

   <brianleroux> capability; something the device can do (has a
   camera). features: camera api

   <darobin> ack

   FH: any volunteers to compare capabilities and features?

   <dtran> So for a certain client, that camera api might not be
   implemented because the client does not have the capability

   <scribe> ACTION: Marcin to review/compare device capabilities and
   features [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action02]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action02

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-15 - Review/compare device capabilities
   and features [on Marcin Hanclik - due 2009-09-30].

   <brianleroux> dtran: I think so yes

   <darobin> ACTION: Bryan to help review/compare device capabilities
   and features [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action03]

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action03

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-16 - Help review/compare device
   capabilities and features [on Bryan Sullivan - due 2009-09-30].

   BS: Marcin and me may contributes

   FH: requirements to be prepared for features/caps

   <fhirsch> comparison should probably include Lewontin workshop paper
   as well Bondi 1.01 and Nokia submissions

   FH: Marcos did some stuff about reputation, other suggestions are
   welcome
   ... the group is open to new suggestions
   ... please send anything what could help to the list
   ... Robin to continue with the APIs

API Segment

   RB: The initial requirements were provided on the list. Discussion
   points to be identified.
   ... Richard's input

   <fhirsch> issue-13?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-13 -- Gathering requirements -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/13

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/13

   <fhirsch> issue-7?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-7 -- Gathering requirements -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/7

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/7

   <darobin>
   [27]http://www.w3.org/mid/355A518BC0575547B2A3D6773AAF8EEF3F39A2@ftr
   dmel1

     [27] http://www.w3.org/mid/355A518BC0575547B2A3D6773AAF8EEF3F39A2@ftrdmel1

   RB: it is about messaging, coverage. Is it clearer, Richard?

   RT: what is the concept of the ubiquitos Web?
   ... should telephony/SMS be included?

   RB: ubiquitos means "it runs everywhere"
   ... screens in watches, urinals are also Web

   <dtran> yes, telephony/SMS should be

   RB: capabilities of the device are important
   ... ubiquitos and not capable do not necessarily clash
   ... the existing messaging proposals (Nokia, BONDI etc) may suggest
   want we need
   ... messaging must be able to address different transports,
   capabilities and related details
   ... emails need attachments, differences may suggest the design

   BS: the goal of ubiquitos Web is to address potential environment,
   awareness, context

   RB: Richard, will you be able to proceed for the next week
   ... Calendar API, issue-7

   issue-7?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-7 -- Gathering requirements - calendar -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/7

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/7

   RT: some feedback provided
   ... a lot to be done on the high level
   ... should we support more than 1 calendars?

   RB: there are pros and cons
   ... it should be clarified over email
   ... Arve has comments
   ... what does it mean to support iCalendar

   Resolution: let's continue over email

   <dtran> multiple calendars for family, work, play calendars

   ABe to send comments

   issue-14?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-14 -- Gathering requirements -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/14

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/14

   RB: the long list of requirements about NavigatorPlatform

   TRAN: it stems from geolocation, I will send another email

   RB: a good requirement would be to have: the interface must provide
   the information about battery level
   ... functional requirements to be provided

   <darobin> [30]http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/Overview.html

     [30] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/Overview.html

   <scribe> ACTION: TRAN to provided more functional requirements
   [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action04]

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action04

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-17 - Provided more functional requirements
   [on Dzung Tran - due 2009-09-30].

   <crobiso1> crobiso1 is Clayne Robison

   <darobin> [32]http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/Overview.html

     [32] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/Overview.html

   <darobin> [33]http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/Overview.html

     [33] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/Overview.html

   RB: does anyone want to take care of contact, FS?

   <darobin> ACTION: Arve to review Contacts requirements [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action05]

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action05

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-18 - Review Contacts requirements [on Arve
   Bersvendsen - due 2009-09-30].

   <scribe> ACTION: Bryan Leroux to review contact, camera, file-system
   [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action06]

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action06

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-19 - Leroux to review contact, camera,
   file-system [on Bryan Sullivan - due 2009-09-30].

   <darobin> action-6?

   <trackbot> ACTION-6 -- Robin Berjon to send a reminder about TPAC --
   due 2009-09-09 -- CLOSED

   <trackbot> [36]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/6

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/6

   <darobin> action-19?

   <trackbot> ACTION-19 -- Bryan Sullivan to leroux to review contact,
   camera, file-system -- due 2009-09-30 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [37]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/19

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/19

   BS: I will be providing general comments

   issue-6?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-6 -- Gathering requirements -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [38]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/6

     [38] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/6

   <darobin> [39]http://www.w3.org/mid/op.u0pjj6d2byn2jm@galactica

     [39] http://www.w3.org/mid/op.u0pjj6d2byn2jm@galactica

   issue-6 is applauncher

   ABe: my proposal is controversial

   <darobin> ACTION: Marcin to send comments about Arve's requirements
   for ISSUE-6 [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action07]

     [40] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action07

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-20 - Send comments about Arve's
   requirements for ISSUE-6 [on Marcin Hanclik - due 2009-09-30].

   <darobin> ACTION: Bryan to send comments about Arve's requirements
   for ISSUE-6 [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action08]

     [41] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action08

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-21 - Send comments about Arve's
   requirements for ISSUE-6 [on Bryan Sullivan - due 2009-09-30].

   issue-5?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-5 -- Gathering requirements -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [42]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/5

     [42] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/5

   issue-5 is Application Configuration

   Arve: we probably drop the AppConfig from the deliverables

   MH: BONDI considers dropping AppConfig once A&E and Storage specs
   are ready

   BS: we need some local storage. If it is HTML5 or widget context, it
   shall be enough. We should not leave it to the other groups.

   RB: DAP does not specify what HTML-X browser shall support
   ... we just re-use other specification.

   BS: it is important to address the related requirements

   <darobin> [43]http://www.w3.org/TR/webstorage/

     [43] http://www.w3.org/TR/webstorage/

   RB: W3C already takes care

   BS: we should not confuse people, requirements document should
   specify that AppConfig is not in the scope of DAP, if it is the fact

   Arve: then we should specify the same for other specs, like e.g.
   Geolocation. We do not do this on purpose.

   BS: it should be documented what was NOT done

   RB: the APIs are independent
   ... where should we document that?

   BS: in the Scope section of the documents
   ... rationale should be documented

   RB: should we publish a note about why something was dropped?

   BS: my point is: we are silent upon some important aspects

   Arve: we are not silent, other specification resolve the problems

   <dom> the resolution should document clearly why we drop the item,
   and be put on the issue's tracker

   <darobin> +1

   BS: we should not stay silent

   Kangchan: I agree, I propose to make a primer document that would
   clarify the scope of DAP.

   RB: people are welcome non-normative docs/primers
   ... we are heading for many specs, we need editors.
   ... the docs should be put into CVS for further discussion

   FH: what is wrong with the note in the document?

   RB: we never published a req document
   ... if we reach consensus on concise req docs, we would result in
   better specs

   Arve: what about an umbrella requirements document?

   <darobin> ISSUE: Should we have an umbrella requirements document?

   <trackbot> Created ISSUE-22 - Should we have an umbrella
   requirements document? ; please complete additional details at
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/22/edit .

     [44] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/22/edit

   <darobin> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Drop the work item on AppConfig;
   discuss on list whether and where to document that as part of
   ISSUE-22

   <darobin> RESOLUTION: Drop the work item on AppConfig; discuss on
   list whether and where to document that as part of ISSUE-22

   no objection to the resolution

   RB: no further reqs
   ... do we do action/issue review?

   FH: no need now

   RB: AOB

AOB

   No AOBs.

   Kangchan: in Korea there will be a device API related workshop
   tomorrow
   ... we will have phonegap and similar inputs

   RB: feedback from the meeting will be welcome

   No AOBs.

   <darobin> ADJOURNED

   We adjourn.

   <JonathanJ> bye

   bye

   <darobin> RRSAgent: make minutes

   <darobin> fhirsch: brilliant, thanks!

   <darobin> RRSAgent: stop

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Arve to review Contacts requirements [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Bryan Leroux to review contact, camera, file-system
   [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Bryan to help review/compare device capabilities and
   features [recorded in
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Bryan to send comments about Arve's requirements for
   ISSUE-6 [recorded in
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Marcin to review/compare device capabilities and
   features [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Marcin to send comments about Arve's requirements for
   ISSUE-6 [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: robin to link minutes from the group page [recorded in
   [51]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: TRAN to provided more functional requirements
   [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action04]

     [45] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action05
     [46] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action06
     [47] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action03
     [48] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action08
     [49] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action02
     [50] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action07
     [51] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action01
     [52] http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-dap-minutes.html#action04

   [End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 30 September 2009 14:09:05 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 9 May 2012 00:14:00 GMT