Re: [Device APIs Requirements] Input to Applauncher API

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:05:43 +0100
To: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)" <BS3131@att.com>
Cc: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Le lundi 26 octobre 2009 à 22:08 -0700, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW) a
écrit :
> 3) There should be a requirement supporting launching of an application by its filename:
> * It should be possible to launch an application by its filename (full path).

I’m a bit doubtful on that one since a filename-based approach is pretty
much guaranteed to break in a cross-platform environment, or even in a
single platform, from one version of the targeted app to another. I
guess I can live with it being a should, but I don’t think it’s a high
priority for the API.

> 5) There should be a requirement supporting registration as an exclusive handler:
> * It should be possible to register as an exclusive handler for URI schemes and MIME types.

Why? Shouldn’t that be left to the user-agent/OS to decide whether they
want to allow the notion of exclusive-handler, and offer it whenever an
application registers itself for a URI scheme or media type?