Re: [Device APIs Requirements] Input to System Information & Events API

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:47:35 +0100
To: "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)" <BS3131@att.com>
Cc: Device APIs and Policy Working Group WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi Bryan,

Le vendredi 30 octobre 2009 à 16:00 -0700, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW) a
écrit :
> I propose the requirements:
> "MUST provide the value of requested properties for a specified
> vocabulary, as supported by the device."
> "MUST support identification of the default vocabulary."
> "MUST support listing of the supported vocabularies."
> "MUST support listing of the aspects supported for a specific
> vocabulary."

I’m afraid I’m not convinced these requirements are a MUST; the facts
that vocabularies exist doesn’t imply they are a good fit for the
SysInfo API. Could you explain in more details why you think we need to
follow these requirements? What use cases do they make possible?

Currently, and based on the discussions we had during the F2F, I can’t
see them as more than a SHOULD, and I would even lean towards MAY.

(FWIW, rather than discussing that aspect in the requirements, I would
rather see a concrete API proposal that matches their intent, as per
your ACTION-58)

Thanks,