Re: Use Cases and Requirements for Saving Files Securely

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Please send in use cases, requirements, concerns, and concrete
> suggestions about the general topic (regardless of your opinion about my
> suggestion).

Some use cases:

* Ability to manage attachments in Web-based mail clients, both receiving
  and sending
* Ability to write a Web-based mail client that uses mbox files or the
  Maildir format locally
* Ability to write a Web-based photo management application that handles
  the user's photos on the user's computer
* Ability to expose audio files to native media players
* Ability to write a Web-based media player that indexes the user's media

Basically these require:

- A per-origin filesystem (ideally exposed as a directory on the user's
  actual filesystem)
- The ability to grant read and/or write privileges to a particular
  directory to an origin
- An API for files that supports reading and writing arbitrary ranges
- An API for directories that supports creating, renaming, moving, and
  enumerating child directories and files

I'd be happy to volunteer to edit the Directory component of this, working
in tandem with Arun's draft for file access.