Re: Policy and browsers (was Re: Policy work items - request for proposals)

On Nov 9, 2009, at 17:27 , Frederick Hirsch wrote:
> I think we roughly ended up in our F2F discussion with something
> like you suggest, two classes of APIs:
>
> 1. those with implicit  user consent, eg. api that opens camera
> interface but requires user to press button to take picture, or
> messaging interface that requires pressing "send" etc
>
> 2. those that are wholly programmatic, e.g. message sent without out
> user interaction, picture taken without user interaction.
>
> The second class clearly requires policy controls, the first class
> might if decision apart from user's is required or further
> restriction is needed.

Right, and furthermore there was doubt from some parties as to whether
the two APIs could be the same. I think that we should work on the
assumption that they can be, and break that only when it turns out not
to be possible. In general I think that if we design to the more
constraining case (there is no policy control) then it'll work for the
more flexible ones (it might look strange at times — for those cases
convenience wrappers may help).

--
Robin Berjon
   robineko — hired gun, higher standards