Re: Policy and browsers (was Re: Policy work items - request for proposals)

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:34:58 +0100
Cc: "ifette@google.com" <ifette@google.com>, W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
On Nov 9, 2009, at 17:27 , Frederick Hirsch wrote:
> I think we roughly ended up in our F2F discussion with something
> like you suggest, two classes of APIs:
>
> 1. those with implicit  user consent, eg. api that opens camera
> interface but requires user to press button to take picture, or
> messaging interface that requires pressing "send" etc
>
> 2. those that are wholly programmatic, e.g. message sent without out
> user interaction, picture taken without user interaction.
>
> The second class clearly requires policy controls, the first class
> might if decision apart from user's is required or further
> restriction is needed.

Right, and furthermore there was doubt from some parties as to whether
the two APIs could be the same. I think that we should work on the
assumption that they can be, and break that only when it turns out not
to be possible. In general I think that if we design to the more
constraining case (there is no policy control) then it'll work for the
more flexible ones (it might look strange at times  for those cases
convenience wrappers may help).

--
Robin Berjon
   robineko  hired gun, higher standards