RE: <device> proposal (for video conferencing, etc)

From: Tran, Dzung D <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:18:27 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Hickson, Ian wrote:

>> > Which spec did you have in mind?
>>
>> I was thinking of the current work with the Capture APIs as:
>> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/
>
> Oh I assumed that this API was for the widget case -- in HTML4, you can
> already do static image capture and non-streaming video or audio capture,
> using <image type=file accept=...>. It's not widely supported yet, but
> HTML5 elaborated a little on the idea and from talking with browser
> vendors I wouldn't be surprised to see it implemented in the near future.

I don't the intent of the WG is only provide APIs for widget case. If you think that the browser vendors will support the <image type=file accept=...> and the work you are doing with <device> happen in the near future then maybe there is no need for Capture API.

>> I think in one of the example from Andrei Popescu you could handle the
>> non-streaming capture as:
>>
>> <device type="mediaFile" onchange="update(this.data)">
>>
>> function update(file) {  // file is an object that implements interface File
>> }
>
> This seems redundant with existing features. I'd be very reluctant to
> introduce multiple ways to do things.

Agree

On another note, In the Device API WG, we were looking at sensors as in such things as: Proximity, NFC, Pressure, Ambient Light, Hall sensors...etc. This seems to fit into your <device> tag.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Dzung Tran