Re: First stab at File Writer

On Dec 4, 2009, at 08:51 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le jeudi 03 décembre 2009 à 18:47 +0100, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>> I just checked in a first stab at File Writer.
>>  http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/file-system/file-writer.html
>
> I haven’t read it yet, but two high level points:
> • we have in our charter a generic file systems API — this is addressing
> writing files, but not other file systems operations (file delete,
> directory management, etc); I personally agree that file writing is a
> good first step, and that the rest can wait for later, but I’d like to
> make sure the group is clear with that, and that as a result, a generic
> filesystems API wouldn’t be in our priority list

I think that the question of whether they're in the same document, and whether they have different priority levels should be kept separate.

I believe that we agreed (tentatively) at the f2f that we could have them in separate documents. I'm not sure we actually discussed the impact that that might have (if any) on the priority list. We should list these separately on the timeline for sure — whether the directory stuff is also a priority is open for discussion. They are largely orthogonal except for the integration point of creating/opening files anyway. I have some notes on how this would work, I could quickly bang together a document if there's interest (though I'm somewhat more invested in getting writer right ATM).

> • given past discussions with the WebApps WG, it might be worth pointing
> to your document in public-webapps — I understand this is a very early
> draft, but it would avoid potential duplication of efforts.

Yup, done!

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards