Re: Core Device APIs

From: Doug Turner <w3c@dougt.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:27:26 -0800
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
To: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Hi Robin,

fwiw, geolocation wouldn't use device.cancel().  in some of our early discussed we had a notion of cancelAll() that would cancel all pending geolocation requests.  To make the API simpler, we dropped this form.  Instead, every call to cancel needs to pass a request id:

var watchID = navigator.geolocation.watchPosition(successCallback, failureCallback, null);
navigator.geolocation.clearWatch(watchID);

Other APIs that we have discussed in the Geo WG have been accelleration and orientation.  In both cases, we have been considering using dom style events (addEventListener) and the right way to cancel in this model is to just call removeEventListener.

Regards,

Doug Turner