Re: First stab at the Capture API (aka Camera API)

From: Ilkka Oksanen <Ilkka.Oksanen@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:40:40 +0200
To: ext Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
CC: "Tran, Dzung D" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>, public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>, "'Ingmar.Kliche@telekom.de'" <Ingmar.Kliche@telekom.de>
ext Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2009, at 11:27 , Ilkka Oksanen wrote:
>> One clear missing feature is setting of preferred settings,
>> especially preferred image/video resolution. Currently it's
>> possible get the supported camera resolutions but not select which
>> of them is preferred when images or videos are captured. If
>> possible this is something I would like enhance still during this
>> week.
>
> In general, how strongly do you feel that this is a required feature
> for v1? I certainly agree that it's useful, but off the top of my
> head the most useful use cases don't strictly require it (and since
> the size is returned, it can be enforced in script).

For me it's difficult to imagine a realistic use case where just getting
a list of supported resolutions and formats is enough while setting the
preferred resolution and format is not possible. That is what the draft
allows currently.

Therefore I believe there are two options. Either remove
supportedImageFormats, supportedVideoFormats and supportedAudioFormats
variables from the API or complement those with ability to set the
preferences based on values of these variables. If the second option
affects to overall schedule of our v1 work then I'm ready to consider
resorting to the first option.

      -ilkka