Re: First stab at the Capture API (aka Camera API)

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:09:45 +0100
Cc: public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>, "'Ilkka.Oksanen@nokia.com'" <Ilkka.Oksanen@nokia.com>, "'Ingmar.Kliche@telekom.de'" <Ingmar.Kliche@telekom.de>
To: "Tran, Dzung D" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>
On Dec 2, 2009, at 04:50 , Tran, Dzung D wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/Overview.html

This is a quick review of the draft.

 I would put the requirements and use cases in an annex  I think most people are more interested in the actual API.

 There are indentation issues in the examples, in the source they have to start flush left otherwise the extra space shows (I guess I could fix that in ReSpec if people are interested).

 In a number of cases the text says "must" when I think you mean "MUST". (e.g. "must immediately return a PendingOperation object").

 What happens when the three async calls are made should probably be suggested, even if it isn't mandated. Presumably, the user is asked for consent one way or another and then presented with an interface to perform the capture. If there are multiple input devices, it is up to the system to present the user with a choice  that means we don't have to worry with that at this point (which is good).

 MediaData should inherit from File (from the File API, http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/#dfn-file). The name field can be auto generated, and we'd then only add format.

 We should ask feedback from MAWG about FormatData. If we inherit from File, we can remove type since it's defined there. We may wish to raise the issue with the WebApps WG about whether type can have parameters.

 Do we need a PendingOp and GenericError specification? Perhaps as part of the spec that defines the Device object on Navigator?

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko  hired gun, higher standards