Re: [contacts] Propsed addition of <input file> extensions to Contacts API

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:01:22 +0100
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
On Dec 1, 2009, at 14:40 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le mardi 01 décembre 2009 à 14:30 +0100, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>> With <input type=contact> the user gets a text field. Neither of
>> those is a really nice experience.
>
> But in both of the markup options, the <input type='foo'> field could be
> conditionally added by the script based on detecting support for the
> API.

Yes, I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's not necessarily ideal — in other words, we should look at the ramifications.

Another option, which may just be crazy:

<form enctype='something-magic-about-dap-contacts' onsubmit='foo()'>
  <input type='text' name='given-name'/>
  <input type='text' name='family-name'/>
  <!-- other stuff -->
</form>

On implementations that support this entry point, you'd get a way of selecting contacts, triggered from the magic enctype. On older implementations, you fall back to the form.

I'm not saying it's a great way to go about it, just that there may be other alternative markup-based entry points (and that in some cases there won't be a good markup option).

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards