Re: WG meeting 2017-04-05

On 4/04/2017 23:50, Irene Polikoff wrote:
> Do we want to discuss recursion just to see if anything could or should be done?

I have added a remark on Recursion into the agenda, although
realistically I don't expect us to make any substantial changes to the
document so late in the game. A conservative approach that would not
break anything would be to give SHACL+recursion a proper name, i.e. a
dialect, and tools can then specify which dialect they support. Tools
that don't support recursion can then flag cases that they don't handle,
while users would still be able to use recursion, legally.

On a positive side, our definition of recursion has advantages over the
one in ShEx, namely that it is possible to map SHACL to a set of static
SPARQL queries that do not require callbacks like ShEx implementations
do. This genuine trade-off motivated the current compromise. However I
am curious whether this compromise will stand the market forces - people
vote with their feet.

Holger