Re: type and instance and subclass in SHACL documents

My question is: how many of these are fundamental to the functioning of
SHACL? For example if this:

 > The values of sh:nodeKind must be instances of the class sh:NodeKind.

were not declared, if we had only sh:nodekind without class sh:NodeKind,
what would be the result? As I have said before, it isn't clear what
these classes and their instances do in SHACL. In most cases the only
reference to sh:ClassX in the spec is to say that sh:propertyX is an
instance of it.

kc