Re: type and instance and subclass in SHACL documents

I am not sure what you mean. RDFS is open world and doesn¡¯t have any
constraints. There is not really a notion of ¡°in valid¡±.

Irene

On 3/11/16, 2:43 PM, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
wrote:

>These statements are all quite easy to read.  They all come from
>https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema which is the user-friendly informal
>definition of RDFS.
>
>These statements each show obvious differences between instance in RDFS
>and
>instance in SHACL.  Each of them can be easily used to generate SHACL
>shapes
>that behave differently when instance is changed from its SHACL meaning
>to its
>RDFS meaning.
>
>Consider the following shape (using obvious prefix declarations)
>
>sh:propertyShape a sh:Shape ;
> sh:scopeClass rdf:Property ;
> sh:property [ sh:predicate rdfs:label ;
>               sh:minCount 1 ] .
>
>The data graph (using obvious prefix declarations)
>
>rdfs:range ex:label "range" .
>
>validates against this shape under SHACL instance but not under RDFS
>instance.
>
>peter
>

>On 03/11/2016 10:17 AM, Irene Polikoff wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> This is a long list of statements and would require significant time to
>> examine each. I don¡¯t have unlimited amounts of time and I doubt that
>>many
>> people on the working group do.
>>
>> For this reason, I would like to make sure that all statements are
>> relevant. Currently, just glancing at this quickly, I have doubts that
>> they are. For example:
>>
>>  """rdfs:range is an instance of rdf:Property"""
>>
>> Not in SHACL.
>>

>> Does SHACL even use rdfs:range?
>>
>> Irene
>>

>> On 3/11/16, 12:27 PM, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider"
>><pfpschneider@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> These quotes appear to be from RDF Schema 1.1,
>>> https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/
>>>
>>>From that document:
>>> This document is intended to provide a clear specification of RDF
>>>Schema
>>> those who find the formal semantics specification [RDF11-MT] daunting.
>>> Thus,
>>> this document duplicates material also specified in the RDF Semantics
>>> specification. Where there is disagreement between this document and
>>>the
>>> RDF
>>> Semantics specification, the RDF Semantics specification should be
>>>taken
>>> to be
>>> correct.
>>>
>>> But let's stick with this document.
>>>
>>> """All things described by RDF are called resources, and are instances
>>>of
>>> the
>>> class rdfs:Resource. This is the class of everything. All other classes