From:   Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
To:     public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
Date:   07/08/2016 06:46 PM
Subject:        Re: $variables

On 9/07/2016 1:11, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
Ok, but this isn't just a matter of hiding this when SPARQL is hidden. I
still want to understand what that sentence means when SPARQL isn't
hiddene. So, can you tell me what this sentence is supposed to be saying?

A node scope with value $scopeNode, defines $scopeNode as the node
in-scope in the data graph.

The way it reads to me is that a node scope has a variable $scopeNode as a
value, and that this defines the variable as the "node in-scope". What
does it mean for a scope node to have a value? And How does a node scope
with a value define the value as the "node in-scope"? And shouldn't that
rather be "node in scope"??

As I said I just can't parse this sentence. I'd appreciate if someone
could rephrase.

Unfortunately the spec remains hard to read and understand because of
stuff like this so I second the sentiment Karen conveys from the community
she represents. I understand English isn't the editors' primary language
and that's ok but given that I strongly encourage them to welcome comments
pointing these problems out.

Fully agreed, and both Dimitris and myself are welcoming suggestions.
Ideally these suggestions should be actionable, i.e. specific enough to
tell us what needs to be fixed. There are conflicting messages depending
on whom we ask, and I was trying to tease out what was specifically the
issue here. I now understand it is way more than just the $ of the
variable names. Some people have preferred very formal definitions, others
would like to have more surrounding prose, others want specific
implementation advice. It's not always easy to get the balance right.

But turning any of this into generalized public personal attacks [1] is
completely inacceptable. We are all trying to do our jobs here. Don't add
unnecessary stress levels.

Holger

[1] https://twitter.com/karencoyle/status/751207959695269889