Re: $variables

On 8/07/2016 9:45, Karen Coyle wrote:

> On 7/7/16 3:42 PM, Holger Knublauch wrote:
>>

>> On 8/07/2016 8:35, Karen Coyle wrote:
>>> On the call today I was told that the way to avoid the complication of
>>> the $variables in the spec is to choose not to view the SPARQL in the
>>> draft. However, even with the SPARQL hidden, the $variables are still
>>> visible since they are part of the explanatory text. So this does not
>>> solve the problem, and in fact it probably makes it worse because
>>> without the SPARQL the $variables make even less sense. For example,
>>> with SPARQL definitions hidden, you see:
>>>
>>> **********
>>>
>>> 2.1.1 Node scopes (sh:scopeNode)
>>>
>>> A node scope with value $scopeNode, defines $scopeNode as the node
>>> in-scope in the data graph.
>>>
>>> Node scopes are defined with the sh:scopeNode predicate. The values of
>>> sh:scopeNode can be a IRIs or literals.
>>>
>>> *************
>>>
>>> I think they need to be removed from the text, and moved into the
>>> SPARQL code area, and the text should be complete without using them.
>>
>> That would be fine with me. I had used the values in SPARQL-like $
>> notation to make it easier to read for those who are familiar with
>> SPARQL because the SPARQL query and its description would match. But if
>> the WG thinks this is too geeky, we can just drop the $ sign and change
>> the CSS style around these variables.
>>
>> I do wonder what audience are we talking about here? What in particular
>> is difficult to understand about the $ variables? The spec is not a
>> tutorial...
>>
>> Holger
>
> Holger, you always trot out this "not a tutorial" like anyone who has
> any problem with the spec is some kind of backward dunce. I wish you
> would be less condescending and more open to hearing suggestions. The
> folks who brought this up are key RDF programmers on projects like
> Europeana and DPLA. Hardly novices. But believe them when they say
> that it makes the reading and comprehension more difficult. Do not
> disparage them.

The suggested change here is to drop the $ character before variable
names in the scope section. I am really surprised this would make a
difference, but said I have no problems with that.

What else would be needed to make the document more readable for the
audience you are referring to?

Anyway, I think you are over-reacting in your personal criticism. I am
merely collecting information to help me fulfill my editing role. If I
were to accept every single viewpoint without asking for clarifications
we would never reach a fixpoint - there are just too many different
viewpoints and potential audiences here.

Holger