Re: when is a node a class, when is a node a shape, when is a node an instance of a class

The spec currently has section 1.1 where we state that certain terms
from RDFS are used with slightly different meaning in the SHACL spec.
Maybe, to satisfy the issue you raise below, we could expand this
section a little bit to clarify that "being in instance" means something
like

ASK {
     $type rdfs:subClassOf* ?class .
     $instance a ?class .
}

Then, "being a class" means $type=rdfs:Class and "being a shape" means
$type=sh:Shape.

Would this help?

Holger