Re: Please review the SHACL draft (was Re: Editing progress)

> Hi Karen,
>
> in terms of a data model, targets, shapes and constraints are classes.
> They actually have corresponding rdfs:Classes in the Turtle file. So one
> way of explaining them, in addition to an abstract syntax, is to
> introduce the data model. I had a UML-like diagram in earlier versions,
> a variant of which I believe would still be a good thing to have. It
> would show how the concepts are connected and possibly appeal to a
> certain technical audience.
>
> Having gone through the spec recently I also cannot help but think that
> most people will understand SHACL simply by following and copying the
> design patterns from the examples. So I believe it's good to have as
> many examples as possible.

Examples are important, but that does not mean that the text should be
unclear.

> Other than that I am left wondering what conclusions I should draw from
> your observations. For example, I don't see why targets or constraints
> would need to be defined as shapes, because Filters are. Do you have
> suggestions on how to improve the flow?

I did not suggest that constraints and targets should be defined as
shapes. I asked about an inconsistency in the definitions. To my mind,
the outlier is filters.

Shape := label:IRI|BNode, targets:Set[Target], filters:Set[Shape],
constraints:Set[Constraint]

kc