Re: UI/UX snippets

 > I would much rather like to use SHACL for these use cases so that form
> definitions become proper part of sharing linked data, and not just some

> proprietary non-standard. When someone publishes an ontology, they
> should be allowed to propose layouts so that generic software agents can

> display instances in the most user-friendly way.

Connecting a ontology with a layout IMHO is not something I would use
shapes for, neither would I supply shapes with the data, something Fresnel
tried as well.
In my rather brief 7 year history of building applications around RDF data
I very very rarely used only one vocabulary / ontology to describe the
resources my applications use.
I want a shape to 'shape' a UI according to the data that comes in, most
of the time this means that two statements who have no ontological
relation do have a specific relation in my application. To save myself
from the burden to create a vocabulary / ontology to combine these 2,
shapes, as I used them in Resource shape format serve exactly this
purpose.

If I want to display a form to edit a SKOS Concept but there should be
extra options based on the contents of prov:wasGeneratedBy property,
e.g. if the concept was created by a barts:importAction I need a different
UI.
With shapes as I understand it, this would be possible without creating a
ontology / vocabulary to match the skos:concept with the
prov:wasGeneratedBy for my specific use case.

> In addition to labels, comments and defaultValues (all of which are
> approved requirements), I continue to suggest something like
> sh:index/sh:order as a low-cost addition.

I've did exactly the same in my example in the previous mail.

> Having such features as a built-in feature of SHACL will IMHO attract a
> large audience

I agree, talking to a lot of people who are just starting to play with
linked data/RDF, shapes is one of the missing links for them to make all
this data digestible.

Bart

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

mailto:tthibodeau@openlinksw.com
http://twitter.com/TallTed
http://www.openlinksw.com/
> >           10 Burlington Mall Road, Suite 265, Burlington MA 01803
> >       Weblog   -- http://www.openlinksw.com/blogs/
> >       LinkedIn -- http://www.linkedin.com/company/openlink-software/
> >       Twitter  -- http://twitter.com/OpenLink
> >       Google+  -- http://plus.google.com/100570109519069333827/
> >       Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/OpenLinkSoftware
> > Universal Data Access, Integration, and Management Technology
Providers