Re: Language or technology

I really wish we can make progress on this together. Just in time I have
started to work on an outline for a core specification (here, for LDOM).
Maybe this helps to illustrate my proposal better. Please take a look at
the section on ldom:hasValue at

https://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/data-shapes-core/ldom-core.html#property-hasValue

The definition of this term includes

1) A semi-formal textual description of what it does
2) A small example
3) A SPARQL query, with the indication that any engine that supports the
term ldom:hasValue must implement an algorithm that is equivalent to the
provided SPARQL query (here: FILTER NOT EXISTS { ?this ?predicate
?hasValue })

Assuming the rest of the document has set the stage on what things like
?this and ?predicate mean, this looks unambiguous and sufficiently
formal to me. Any implementer, even if the target language is not
SPARQL, could use that definition. But in contrast to other
specification languages such as Z, this design means that:

- we use the same mechanism that LDOM users also use to define new templates
- we use a specification language that already has a 100% mapping to RDF
datasets
- we use a language that is already implemented (and optimized) by RDF
databases

The formal specification document produced by this WG is not for
end-users, but instead just for a tiny group of implementers that need
to know all the details. Average users will learn the new language from
books, papers and examples for copy-and-paste. Many users will just use
simple things like ldom:property declarations, and those don't need to
know SPARQL at all. However, advanced users at least have the option to
express whatever shape they like.

To implement ShExC, you just need a pick an LDOM profile and create a
parser to-and-from that sub-set of the overall language. As long as your
own engine implements the behavior specified by the SPARQL query, your
engine will pass all the same test cases that other LDOM implementations
also need to pass. And these test cases will be another (large)
deliverable from the WG.

Please clarify where you see problems with the specification approach
outlined above.

And to be clear: I don't care how the final language is called - we have
22 naming proposals on our list right now, and I cannot imagine that it
will become LDOM ;)

A point where we seem to disagree is that I very much believe that we
should expose the full expressivity of SPARQL, and not just a sub-set.
Why throw away so much useful functionality that is already implemented
by dozens of industrial-strength products? OWL DL already made the
mistake to pick a (random) subset of logic because it seemingly had nice
computational characteristics. Unfortunately it turned out that this
subset is not what most people need in practice, and the theoretical
benefits did not produce the fast performance that the researchers had
hoped for. Let's please not fall into this trap again!

Thanks,
Holger