Re: shapes and classes: different

It is certainly the case that OWL classes have the characteristics of both
shapes and classes because you can both assert that objects belong to OWL
classes and provide precise conditions for belonging to OWL classes.
However, it is possible to build a class system (e.g., RDFS) where classes
are not shapes and a shape system (e.g., ShExC) where shapes are not classes.

Having shapes also be classes or classes also be shapes doesn't follow from
the bare notions of shapes and classes.  It is instead a decision whose
consequences need analysis.

peter