Re: Bob is not a shape [Was: Re: Shapes are Classes, even if you don't use rdf:type]

Hi Eric,

On 26/01/15 13:11, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> * Jerven Tjalling Bolleman <jerven.bolleman@isb-sib.ch> [2015-01-26 11:38+0100]
>> Hi Eric,
Brutal Snip
> I think we're actually arguing for the same solution, just factored
> slightly differently. You propose:
>
>    foaf:Person
>      rdfs:subClassOf foaf:Agent ;
>      ldom:property [
>        ## something magic here to indicate applicability of constraint ##
>        ldom:recordConstraintFor <MayoContactDatase> ;
>
>        ldom:predicate foaf:givenName ;
>        ldom:valueType xsd:string ;
>        ldom:minCount 1
>      ].
>
> I propose:
>
>    mayoHR:ContactShape
>      ldom:property [
>        ldom:predicate foaf:givenName ;
>        ldom:valueType xsd:string ;
>        ldom:minCount 1
>      ].
>
>    ## something magic here to indicate applicability of shape ##
>    <MayoContactDatase> ldom:recordStructure mayoHR:ContactShape .

Shapes with the something magic is ok. But if the something magic is
required for shapes then the first version is as good. Because then

File/endpoint/service 1

foaf:Person rdfs:subClassOf foaf:Agent .

File/endpoint/service 2

foaf:Person ldom:property :personMustHaveAGivenNameInMyContactApp .
:personMustHaveAGivenNameInMyContactApp
 ldom:recordConstraintFor <MyContactApp> ;
   ldom:predicate foaf:givenName ;
         ldom:valueType xsd:string ;
         ldom:minCount 1 .

Is practically equivalent. This becomes more apparent when we want to
use shapes to document what data one can expect e.g. with ldom:minCount
0. (Although I would like a ldom:requiredProperty and a
ldom:expectedProperty)

Basically I feel that the shape resource is not needed, and as its not
needed to meet the requirements, it should be dropped because its one
less thing to worry about. i.e. as simple as possible.

Of course I might not see a requirement where a Shape indirection is
absolutely required, in which case I would like to see such an
requirement so we can think about it. I think Shapes where introduced to
avoid the need for "something magic" but as they need them anyway their
reason for existing has IMHO disappeared.

Regards,
Jerven

PS.
I won't reply to list until Friday at the earliest.
But I will read all replies at that time and further the discussion if
needed.

Jerven Bolleman                        Jerven.Bolleman@isb-sib.ch
SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics  Tel: +41 (0)22 379 58 85
CMU, rue Michel Servet 1               Fax: +41 (0)22 379 58 58
1211 Geneve 4,
Switzerland     www.isb-sib.ch - www.uniprot.org
Follow us at https://twitter.com/#!/uniprot