Re: Definition of Shape

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <
pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> The glossary that I put together was at least partly an attempt to answer
> these sorts of questions.

Yes, and I really think it is very useful...that's why I dare to contribute
:)

In the glossary a shape (or unscoped constraint) is something that can only
> be evaluated against something, e.g., people with at least two friends
> would
> be a shape.

Do you propose that a Shape is the same as an "Unscoped constraint" ?

If you think it is right so, should we put that definition in the "Shape"
slot? I am asking because I thought that a glossary on a Data Shapes
working group should have an entry on "Shapes"...

What I was trying to stress with my proposal is that in the context of this
group a shape involves the triples surrounding an RDF node. I think it is
an important concept that can serve people who comes to the group to
understand what we are talking about...

> A scoped constraint includes both a shape and an indication of
> how it is to be applied, e.g., all people must be people with at least two
> friends would be a scoped constraint.  I would actually prefer to use just
> "constraint" for scoped constraints but I was trying not to push this
> particular preference for the meaning of constraint.

I think it makes sense to indicate the difference between "Scoped" and
"Unscoped" constraints...maybe, in my proposal I was suggesting that a
Shape was composed of a set of constraints...which could also be called
"Compound constraints", but I would prefer not to complicate the glossary...

--
Saludos, Labra