Re: Shapes vs Classes (in LDOM)

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> * Dimitris Kontokostas <kontokostas@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
> [2015-01-23 11:03+0200]
> > First of all, great work initiating this Holger!!!
> >
> > Maybe I miss something in the semantics of the class declarations but I
> > would suggest a simplification of the constraint definitions. Examples:
> >
> > # class example
> >
> > ex:constraintA
> >   a ldom:ClassConstraint ;
> >   ldom:class ex:ClassA, ex:ClassB, ex:ClassC ; #  (oslc:describes)
> >   ldom:sparql """ ..?this ... """ ;
> >   ldom:property [
> >             ldom:predicate ex:propA ;
> >             ldom:minCount 1 ;
> >         ] ;
> >
> > in this case, all classes (A,B & C) have a min cardinality 1 restriction
> on
> > ex:propA which is not possible if we subclass the constraint to a single
> > class.
> > We also decouple the schema declaration with the constraint declaration
> (*)
> >
> > # global constraint example, the rdfs:Resource / owl:Thing declaration is
> > redundant
> >
> > ex:constraintB
> >   a ldom:GlobalConstraint ;
> >   ldom:sparql """ ... """ ;
> >
> > # ShExC / RS shapes in a similar way these are currently defined
> > ex:constraintC
> >   a ldom:ShapeConstraint ;
> >   ldom:sparql """ ... """ ;
> >   ldom:property [
> >             ldom:predicate ex:propA ;
> >             ldom:minCount 1 ;
> >         ] ;
> >
> > For the ShapeConstraints we can define how validation can performed e.g.
> > starting from a node or inferring the types of the nodes based on the
> shape
> > definition and then validating in a similar way to the ClassConstraint.
> > Would something like this solve the class/shape problem?
>
> If I understand you, you propose that § 2. Class Declarations be
> instead Shape Declarations. I believe this addresses the issues raised
> in the November Class vs. Shape wars:
>

> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2014Nov/thread#msg37
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2014Nov/thread#msg199
>
> I believe the answer to the Can Shapes always be Classes thread
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2014Nov/thread#msg22
> was "no", at least not for classes used elsewhere in the enterprise or
> public.

My suggestion is to separate them for clarity. From my understanding a
class-based validation occurs when types are explicit in a node
while in shapes type is implicit in the sense that one would have to infer
the type of the node based on the shape characteristics.
In the end I see them as equivalent but it is easier and probably less
error-prone if we separate them.

--
Dimitris Kontokostas