Re: swap-scala inference, Jena and testing

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 10:07 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Great to see your recent blog posts about this project [1] - although
> I'm reasonably familiar with Python, in the past I've found the
> original swap code a wee bit opaque to grok what's going on.
>
> Anyhow, just a thought - for testing e.g. RDFS inference it should be
> straightforward to strap in Jena libs (and associated tests) to your
> Scala code - Jena has pretty sophisticated & mature inference
> capabilities [2].

Jena probably has everything that swap-scala has and more.
But the whole point of the swap-scala exercise is to think things thru
by implementing them, and strapping on Jena would defeat
that point.

> Incidentally, not sure what you'll make of map/territory in Jena
> (seems a little blurred,

yes, it's typical of the blurred APIs.

>  but works ok pragmatically

well, sort of... but I think it's a source of quite
a bit of confusion.

>  - hmm, surely when
> represented in code everything is "map" anyway..?):
> [[
> public interface Resource
> extends RDFNode
> RDFNode -
> Interface covering RDF resources and literals. Allows probing whether
> a node is a literal/[blank, URI]resource, moving nodes from model to
> model, and viewing them as different Java types using the .as()
> polymorphism.
> ]]
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/swap-scala/
> [2] http://jena.sourceforge.net/inference/
> [3] http://www.knowledgeforge.net/project/gradino/

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E