[Fwd: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language doc 2007-11-20 update]

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:31:06 +0000
To: public-cwm-talk@w3.org
CC: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>

Dear Cwm/N3 people,

Could you help Dave narrow the gap between Turtle and SPARQL notation?
See attached fwd for details. We'd gain a lot of explainability if
Turtle simply had the same syntax as SPARQL. Is there any strong reason
not to nudge N3 and Cwm in this direction too?

attached mail follows:

Last week I made another update to Turtle, this time
a major document reorganisation.  There's a new syntax intro
section 2 and I tidied the grammar to remove commentary and
the required use of whitespace in most cases.  Other sections
have been removed or merged.

One thing I was thinking about, comparing with SPARQL
is the difference in quoting for literals.  SPARQL allows
'foo' and '''foo''' as well as "foo" and """foo"" but
Turtle only uses double quotes.  I need more information
on whether to add this, does this causes N3/cwm problems?

The other SPARQL issue to consider is the allowed
characters in prefixed names.  SPARQL has slightly
different rules that allow numbers and '.'s in different

  Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language 20 November 2007

All changes: