[Fwd: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language doc 2007-11-20 update]

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:31:06 +0000
To: public-cwm-talk@w3.org
CC: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org>

Dear Cwm/N3 people,

Could you help Dave narrow the gap between Turtle and SPARQL notation?
See attached fwd for details. We'd gain a lot of explainability if
Turtle simply had the same syntax as SPARQL. Is there any strong reason
not to nudge N3 and Cwm in this direction too?

cheers,

Dan

attached mail follows:

Last week I made another update to Turtle, this time
a major document reorganisation.  There's a new syntax intro
section 2 and I tidied the grammar to remove commentary and
the required use of whitespace in most cases.  Other sections
have been removed or merged.

One thing I was thinking about, comparing with SPARQL
is the difference in quoting for literals.  SPARQL allows
'foo' and '''foo''' as well as "foo" and """foo"" but
Turtle only uses double quotes.  I need more information
on whether to add this, does this causes N3/cwm problems?

The other SPARQL issue to consider is the allowed
characters in prefixed names.  SPARQL has slightly
different rules that allow numbers and '.'s in different
places.

See
  Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language 20 November 2007
  http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/

All changes:
  http://www.dajobe.org/2004/01/turtle/#sec-changelog

Dave