RE: CWM/N3 Meeting Notes (15th November 2004)

From: Matt Stillerman <matt@atc-nycorp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:36:36 -0500
To: public-cwm-talk@w3.org

Thanks for these notes.  May I inject a comment on qnames into the
discussion?

One of the groups that has made a big commitment to RDF is the electric
power industry, with their CIM/XML standard. (See, e.g.
http://www.langdale.com.au/CIMXML/)   Unfortunately, a large fraction of the
CIM vocabulary has "." (period) in the localname.  So, none of these URIs
can be represented as qnames.  Thus, representing CIM specs and rules in N3
is quite awkward.

CIM also has a few localnames that contain ":" (colon).  I'm not sure if
this is legal RDF/XML.  In any case, such URIs cannot be represented as
qnames (though CWM tries, and fails).

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions?

Matt

   | Matt Stillerman                  |