pls split turtle lexical details out of the grammar

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:17:20 -0500
To: Dave Beckett <Dave.Beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: public-cwm-talk@w3.org

The turtle grammar starts out all formal...
"This EBNF is the notation used in XML 1.0 second edition over an
alphabet of [UNICODE] characters."
 -- http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/2004/01/turtle/

but then it's not, really:

[[
relativeURI ::= character* with escapes as defined in the N-Triples
section 3.3 URI References. This is then used as a relative URI and
resolved against the current base URI to give an absolute URI reference.

string ::= character* with escapes as defined in N-Triples section 3.2
Strings
]]

I'd much rather have the lexical details specified separately
and have the grammar be a real formal grammar, suitable for
use with yacc or the equivalent.

By way of comparison/contrast, see

  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/rdfn3-gram.html
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/rdfn3.g
  $Id: rdfn3.g,v 1.18 2002/08/15 23:20:36 connolly Exp $

p.s. I see
"Turtle is a work in progress, and I am looking for feedback"

but I wasn't sure where you wanted the feedback sent. I was
going to copy www-archive, but then grammar engineering is
reasonably high on the cwm development agenda too, so I
copied public-cwm-talk.

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?