test URL redirections...

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:13:39 +0200
Cc: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, W3C CSV on the Web Working Group <public-csv-wg@w3.org>
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
Gregg,

I must admit I am in a territory that I do not really know…

I did set up a redirection, through .htaccess, in http://www.w3.org/2013/csvw/ using:

RewriteRule ^tests/(.*) http://w3c.github.io/csvw/tests/$1 [R=303]

However, I am not sure it will really work for the test suites. If, in a browser, I type in, say,

http://www.w3.org/2013/csvw/tests/test011/result.json

then indeed get to the relevant json file whose URI is http://w3c.github.io/csvw/tests/test011/tree-ops.csv. However, the redirection is made through a 303 flag, but that means that the browser address bar will show the w3c.github.io address, not the www.w3.org one. I do not know whether that matters.

More importantly, what it requires is for the csvw clients to use a URI library that automatically handles redirection. Is that always the case? I do not know. (I tried to use the [P] flag, but that (understandably) does not work because it would instruct apache to use an external server as proxy which W3C does not allow for security reasons.)

Strangely enough: I tried to do a wget on the w3c address, and I got a 404. I then realized that doing a wget on the github.io address leads to a 404; I am not sure how github handles these requests.

So… do you think it is possible to use the test cases with such caveats? Of course it would be nice but I am a bit afraid some clients may have issues handling the 303…

Any good ideas?

Ivan

P.S. I am still waiting for our system people to set up /.well-known for me.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/