Re: A draft outline for the CSV2RDF document

But also... If my application needs (forgive me:-) RDF/XML, but the author of the metadata has put in the row-level template using JSON-LD as a base syntax, then I need a JSON-LD parser to make any sense of it, right? In other words, the field-level template approach is RDF syntax independent. That seems to be another major difference, too...

Ivan

On 19 May 2014, at 21:29 , Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19/05/14 19:58, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> I am lost again. That means we have some processing rules to convert
>> the metadata into arow template; what are those?
>
> They would go where you have:
>
> 3.1.2 Field level metadata
>
> and do the same thing except instead of talking about generating triples, it generates text fragments for the template.  (An implementation is, of course, free to do it directly - we're defining the effect, not the implementation)
>
>> How do they compare
>> to the rule set with fiel-templates?
>
> In the case where there is a generated template it should be the same capabilities.  If the converter can output templates it generates, then a user might wish to take those as a starting point for a more sophisticated conversion.
>
> 	Andy
>

>> Ivan
>>
>> --- Ivan Herman Tel:+31 641044153 http://www.ivan-herman.net
>>
>> (Written on mobile, sorry for brevity and misspellings...)

>>> The user isn't required to provide a (row) template so if they
>>> write:
>>>
>>> "columns" : [{ "name" : "air-temperature" , "type" : "xsd:double"
>>> }]
>>>
>>> the conversion behaves as if the template used were a big string:
>>> (no need to understand the structure) ------------- [
>>> :air-temperature "{air-temperature}"^^xsd:double ] -------------
>>>
>>> and the user never sees the template.
>>>
>>> There are going to be per-syntax issues - escaping for example.
>>> Turtle ""-strings aren't the same as XML content.
>>>

>>> Andy

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead