RE: First Face-to-Face meeting

+1 from me. I'll put the TPAC into my provisional schedule for later this year. Following your idea of serendipitously coincident travel, I plan to be at the Linking Geospatial Data workshop, [Google] Campus London, 5-6 March <http://www.w3.org/2014/03/lgd/>. Hope to be able to catch up with some of you there. Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Brickley [mailto:danbri@google.com]
Sent: 03 February 2014 17:22
To: Jeni Tennison; Ivan Herman
Cc: public-csv-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: First Face-to-Face meeting

Having talked over the results of this survey with Jeni and Ivan, we conclude that there does *not* seem to be to be critical mass for the dates proposed. And comparing travel schedules even amongst Ivan/Jeni/Dan it is looking very challenging to find new candidate dates in the immediate - feb/march/april/... future (especially noting that W3C asks for 8 weeks notice to be given, to help people find reasonable travel/hotel options etc.).

Given all this, a new suggestion. That we make minimal or no use of face-to-face meetings until a larger gathering - the W3C Technical Plenary meeting, next one is Oct 27-31st 2014, Santa Clara <http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2014>, but that we kick off the group 'remotely' rather than through a 'kickoff face to face meeting'.

So - for now at least - Instead of flying everyone to a single location, let's try to do our best to use the 'net (the usual email/wiki/phone/IRC stuff but also maybe video e.g. Skype,
G+Hangouts, WebRTC or whatever) to make progress. We can also continue
the effort already begun in this thread, of sharing our existing travel plans so that if small subsets of the Working Group are already planning to attend various events, we can make the most of it. Andy Seaborne also pointed out that some W3C groups have had regional meetings, e.g. recent RDF WG had US (Boston) + UK (London) split meeting that was easier for people to attend; we could explore similar mechanisms, or perhaps organizing around sub-topics.

In general W3C groups benefit a lot from face to face work. It helps people understand each other, work closely together, etc. But there can also be other significant costs involved beyond the merely financial -  travel, health, family, carbon footprint, day jobs, etc... So given our scheduling difficulties, let's see what we can get done using this new-fangled Internet thing...

cheers,

Dan