Comment on "Model for Tabular Data and Metadata on the Web": Definition of null field

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 17:54:30 -0400
To: "public-csv-wg@w3.org" <public-csv-wg@w3.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, 'Gregg Kellogg' <gregg@greggkellogg.com>
Hi Jeni and Gregg,

First of all, very nice work on this!
http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/
I haven't read it in detail, but I do have a few comments/suggestions,
which I will break into separate messages.

Section 2.1 Core Data Model
http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/#h3_core-model
says "Some of these fields may be null fields".  What exactly *is* a
null field?  I think this needs to be defined.  Is it possible, in the
absence of assistive metadata, for a CSV+ document to have a null field?
  In a CSV document, how would a null field be distinguishable from a
field consisting of an empty string?  Or are they the same?  They
certainly are not the same in a database.

Thanks!
David