Re: :target [via CSS Selectors as Fragment Identifiers Community Group]

On Monday, March 26, 2012, 6:42:02 PM, Simon wrote:

SSL> On 3/9/12 12:30 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> I was wondering if something specific was being considered there, or
>> if we could just drop it. I think it would be fine for the processor
>> to always return multiple results, and if there are contexts that
>> only want the first (or the last, or the seventh from the back) then
>> they can define that additional constraint themselves.

Yes.

SSL> I think what we were attempting to do here was preserve the option of
SSL> multiple results - which enable some powerful things like XLink
SSL> processing and interfaces beyond "GOTO X LOCATION"

I agree that these are well worth preserving.

SSL>  - while not
SSL> terrifying developers who get to implement these things.

SSL> Would it be more sensible to say that the processor should return all
SSL> results, but the recipient can do whatever it wants with them?  Mostly
SSL> likely, the first result in document order will be privileged...

Prefer 'must return' all results. Makes it testable.

I agree that for the 'linking into an html document' case, the first in document order (or, perhaps, the highest up the page) would be the sensible one to move the viewport to. (Which spec would define the behaviour?) But its useful to have all the results hilighted and would be nice to be able to move to the next|previous one.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG