Re: Getting browser vendors running and submitting tests

Le 2015-10-28 22:48, James Graham a écrit :
> On 29/10/15 11:37, fantasai wrote:
>
>> I disagree with this. I think we should reduce the metadata,
>> but there are some things (e.g. spec section associations)
>> that we need to keep.
>
> FWIW the counterpoint to this is that people have and will point-blank
> refuse to submit tests when there are requirements for metadata beyond
> what is strictly needed to make the tests run.

<link rel="author" href="...">: very easy to do

don't think so.

<title> text: the documentation should help by giving useful examples.
James Hopkins had a good and easy system to use. He was just putting the
most important css property and then another one which was being tested.
You can not be wrong 99% of the time if you do this systematically.

<title>CSS [Module name] Test: property name - property name</title>

eg

<title>CSS Writing Modes Test: vertical-align - 'super' and vertical-rl
writing-mode

<link rel="help" href="...">: it should be easy if you use the James
Hopkins system. Just link to both properties you use in the <title>.

then, all reviewers need is some useful, meaningful, helpful comments at
judicious spots and/or useful, meaningful, semantic id attribute, class
attribute, function identifiers.

Examples:

(bad) class="class1"
(bad) class="class2"
(bad) class="one"
(bad) class="two"
(bad) class="a"
(bad) class="b"
(bad) id="div1"
(bad) id="div2"
(bad) id="span1"
(bad) id="span2"
(bad) id="one"
(bad) id="two"
(bad) id="a"
(bad) id="b"
(bad) function test()

Better, more recommendable:

(good) class="abs-pos-children"
(good) id="rel-pos-grand-parent"
(good) id="containing-block"
(good) id="blue-float-left"
(good) id="red-overlapped"
(good) id="green-overlapping"
(good) id="reference"
(good) id="control"
(good) id="clearing"
(good) id="following-sibling"
(good) class="adjacent-sibling"
(good) class="invalid"

Good identifiers are those which are
- descriptive with regards to the working/building logic of the test,
- descriptive of the design logic of the test or
- descriptive of the respective position in the containment hierarchy or
- descriptive of the respective position in the positioning hierarchy.

> I understand why this additional metadata is nice to have particularly
> when you come back to tests later, but requiring it will cause people
> to not upstream tests that they otherwise would have. I don't have a
> great solution for you, but consider if they are ways to make more of
> the metadata implicit in e.g. the directory structure, file naming,
> <title> element, etc.

The documentation could be more helpful.
does not provide real examples.

I'm sure the documentation could be improved...

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates

CSS Naming Guidelines