Re: Getting browser vendors running and submitting tests

On 29/10/15 13:44, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello Geoffrey,
>
> Wednesday, October 28, 2015, 5:21:33 PM, you wrote:
>> * We should get rid of metadata, at least in the common case,
>
> The crucial bit of metadata is a link to *what section of the spec is
> actually tested*.
>
> If someone writing a test cannot provide a link to  what is actually
> being tested, the test is at best worthless and at worst, damaging.
> But for the common case, a test author does know, they have the
> relevant spec open as they write the test, so dropping in that link
> is trivial to do.
>
> Certainly there are other metadata items which are optional, but this
> one is simple to provide and adds a lot of value.

So I agree that sounds eminently reasonable. OTOH a random trawl through
reftests in mozilla-central turned up very few where people had added
this kind of link. So I conclude that even if it sounds like it's a good
idea it isn't an emergent behaviour of browser developers and
constitutes an extra burden for upstreaming tests compared to writing
browser-specific tests.