Re: text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and 'sideways-rl'

Le 2015-11-25 09:13, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
> Gérard,
>
> I have submitted text-baseline tests with 'sideways-lr' and
> 'sideways-rl'.
>
> 1. added new tests
> https://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/a027a7c1ca48

(...)

> Could you review it?

Hajime,

Sorry for the long delay.

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-slr-009.xht

line 8:    <meta name="assert" content="This test checks the generation
of text baseline. When 'writing-mode' is 'sideways-lr' and when
'text-orientation' is 'mixed', then the alphabetical baseline is used as
the dominant baseline." />

line 16:       text-orientation: mixed;

As I understand 'writing-mode: sideways-lr', the writing mode is set and
text-orientation is also set. So, as I understand this, setting
text-orientation to whatever value should have not effect at all when
'writing-mode' is set to 'sideways-[ lr | rl ]'. In which case, I think
you should remove line 16 and I would reword the text assert to say:

line 8:     <meta name="assert" content="When 'writing-mode' is
'sideways-lr', then the alphabetic baseline is used as the dominant
baseline." />

Nit: it's "alphabetic" and not "alphabetical".

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-srl-008.xht

Same comment as for text-baseline-slr-009

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-slr-011.xht

'text-orientation: upright' has no effect on the orientation of latin
glyphs because 'writing-mode' is set to 'sideways-lr'

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Once 'writing-mode: sideways- [ lr | rl ]' has been set, the
'text-orientation' can not be reset individually. sideways- [ lr | rl ]
is not like other shorthand properties.

When the draft spec says

"
The text-orientation property then determines how text is laid out
within the line box.
"
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#block-flow

this is not perfectly true or accurate. The text-orientation property
can determine how text is laid out within the line box *_only if_*
'writing-mode' is set to 'vertical-*'. sideways-[ lr | rl ] writing
modes are still considered as vertical writing modes.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-baseline-slr-013.xht

line 8:    <meta name="assert" content="This test checks the generation
of text baseline. When 'writing-mode' is 'sideways-lr' and when
'text-orientation' is 'sideways', then the alphabetical baseline is used
as the dominant baseline." />

Once 'writing-mode' has been set to 'sideways-[lr|rl]', then the
dominant baseline is the alphabetic baseline. After that, setting
'text-orientation' to any value has no effect.

[Addendum: I just had a phone discussion with Elika and she agrees that
we should split your tests.

text-baseline-srl-008
text-baseline-slr-009
text-baseline-srl-010
text-baseline-slr-011
text-baseline-srl-012
text-baseline-slr-013
should be just testing the writing-mode versus dominant baseline used
and then we should have another test making sure, verifying that
text-orientation declarations have no effect whatsoever when the
writing-mode is 'sideways-*'. As coded, your current
text-baseline-s*-00[8-13] tests are testing 2 features at the same time
and we think we should check each feature separately, in separate tests.

Okay... I think we should adjust text-baseline-srl-008 and
text-baseline-slr-009 accordingly.

test with 'writing-mode: sideways-rl' with 'text-orientation: upright'
and 3 tests with 'writing-mode: sideways-lr' with 'text-orientation: [
mixed | upright | sideways ]' where those 4 tests check, make sure that
'text-orientation' declarations have no effect in those 4 'sideways-*'
tests. Those 4 tests should probably go in section 5.1. Orienting Text:
the 'text-orientation' property.

Hajime, do you want to do this? I can do it if you prefer..

]

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates