Re: Shepherd API for number of tests

Rebecca already gave the correct answer, but to be more specific: the api you were calling wasn't Shepherd, but the test harness. The test harness API was designed for it's spec annotations and requires an additional parameter 'x' used to identify the spec section (which it always expects to be present even for the overview data).

So
curl -H "Accept: application/json" http://test.csswg.org/harness/status/?s=CSS21_DEV&x=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2Fcss21%2F
would have gotten you what you were looking for.

Note that the harness API includes test result information and only includes tests currently loaded into the harness (which gets re-built and imported each night).

The Shepherd API does not include result information but does include all tests in the repository (the data is live and has tests linked to all anchors in the spec where the harness currently only links tests to spec sections).

(FWIW, the Shepherd API is JSON only so doesn't need the accept headers like the harness API does.)

Peter