Re: Do test titles really need to be unique?

Le Mar 30 juillet 2013 17:20, Rebecca Hauck a écrit :
> Hi all,
> (but this is probably mostly for Peter, maybe Elika)
>
> I'm reviewing and updating some of our testing documentation that is
> eventually going to be centralized in one location used for all W3C
> testing, not just CSS testing.  Do we really need to enforce unique
> titles on tests?  I don't believe there is any such requirement for
> non-CSS tests and I assume Shepherd doesn't have al problem with
> duplicate titles since each test file is seen as a separate asset.
>
> If we can soften this requirement, it's one less thing authors and
> reviewers need to deal with.
>
> Thoughts?

I think it does not need to be unique but it will help if it is
describes what the test is about, if it designates concisely and
meaningfully what the test is about or what property|ies is|are involved
in the test. The goal is to reduce time of searching for a particular
test or particular set of tests.

There is a way to make title unique, descriptive and useful. James
Hopkins wrote about his method of making each test's title unique,
descriptive and helpful.

Roughly, something like:

<title>CSS [module name] Test: [property-name: property-value] - [list
of optional parameters | concise description]</title>

In the end, a title text can not be unique, descriptive and concise
altogether if one test suite has 10,000+ tests. This is the case for CSS
CSS 2.1 test suite.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: