Re: Do test titles really need to be unique?

On Jul 30, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Rebecca Hauck wrote:

From: <Linss>, Peter <peter.linss@hp.com<mailto:peter.linss@hp.com>>
Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:35 PM
To: Rebecca Hauck <rhauck@adobe.com<mailto:rhauck@adobe.com>>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org<mailto:public-css-testsuite@w3.org>" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org<mailto:public-css-testsuite@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Do test titles really need to be unique?

On Jul 30, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Rebecca Hauck wrote:

Hi all,
(but this is probably mostly for Peter, maybe Elika)

I'm reviewing and updating some of our testing documentation that is eventually going to be centralized in one location used for all W3C testing, not just CSS testing.  Do we really need to enforce unique titles on tests?  I don't believe there is any such requirement for non-CSS tests and I assume Shepherd doesn't have al problem with duplicate titles since each test file is seen as a separate asset.

If we can soften this requirement, it's one less thing authors and reviewers need to deal with.

Thoughts?

So the answer is yes and no. It used to be a hard requirement and Shepherd considered any two files with the same name as being the same test. I recently relaxed that restriction in Shepherd and it now examines the contents of files that have the same name to see if they're really the same thing or not.

I'm talking about what is in the <title> tag. Are you referring to the same here and for the rest of your response?  'Name' is ambiguous to me – can you specify when you're talking about filename vs. title (as in <title> tag contents)?

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, I was talking about the file names only. I don't believe we've ever enforced the <title>s being unique.

Peter