Test suite assumption on font-size: monospace font and for print

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 23:07:28 -0400
Hello,

Some tests may not be passed only because some browsers have different
default font-size for monospace font and for printing.

Eg. The default font-size for monospace in Firefox is 13px; it's not
16px. I believe IE8 and IE9 also applies such font-size value for
monospace font (10pt according to http://www.iecss.com/ ).

Eg. The default font-size for printing in Opera 12.02 is 9pt or so. I do
not know where this is settable and verifiable in Opera and in other
browsers as well.

I strongly believe that

[RC6]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/position-fixed-005.htm

would have been reported as a pass and not a fail in Opera if font-size
had been explicitly set to 14pt or so.
As far as I can see, position-fixed-005 test is passed in Opera 12.02
when more accurate calculation for top offset and font-size for printing
are done.

Proposal
--------

"The 'medium' font-size computes to 16px."
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/#uncommon

To add:

"The 'medium' font-size computes to 16px for monospace font."

"The 'medium' font-size computes to 12pt for printing."

or something similar.

Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:
http://test.csswg.org/harness/

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: