[RC6] width-applies-to-005 : comments

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 19:16:40 -0500
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>

This test is rather weak and unreliable for several reasons:

- the CSS table has only 1 empty cell, only 1 row, no column and 1
column-group element
- table-layout: fixed is declared but the table has no set width, in
which case the spec states that
The table's width may be specified explicitly with the 'width' property.
A value of 'auto' (for both 'display: table' and 'display:
inline-table') means use the automatic table layout algorithm.
" Fixed table layout

So, when I worked on that test for review, I created these 2 tests (or
rather, 2 versions of that same test):

in which both tests have 2 non-empty cells inside 2 rows and 2 declared
table-column elements inside one column-group element. The only
difference between those 2 tests is whether the table element has a set
width or not. And such difference has a great layout impact on both
versions of such test: Firefox 16.0.2, Opera 12.10, Chrome 22.0.1229.94,
IE9, IE10 render both versions of such test respectively the same. FWIW,
I think Opera 12.10 renders
as I expected; I am unsure as to why other browsers render a 2in wide
black rectangle in width-applies-to-005-withOUT-width-GT.xht

So, I will be revisiting many [property-name]-applies-to-001, 002, 003,
004, 005, 006, 007, 013, 014 tests to make sure that the table element
(with the 'table-layout: fixed' declaration) has a set width and some
other minimal requirements (2 non-empty cells inside 2 rows).

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: