Re: Preliminary feedback, comments on multicol tests

On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:37:07 +0200, Gérard Talbot
<css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css3-multicol/nightly-unstable/html4/containing-001.htm
>
> line 10 div {
>  font-family: ahem;
>  font-size: 1em;
>  line-height: 1em;
>
> Issue 1
> -------
>
> Font-size will compute to 16px which is not ideal, not good for creating
> an associated reftest... because not dividable by 5px.
>
> It must be said here that reftests, by definition [1], should be using
> different features, different methods of achieving layout in order to
> reduce risks of false positives.

In this case, the test uses 'column-count' and 'column-gap', while the
reference uses absolute positioning for the "columns".

> If computed font-size when using Ahem
> font is not dividable by 5px, then accurate, reliable baseline alignment
> positioning is not garanteed, is not good.

Baseline alignment isn't being tested here. I don't see how it would make
any noticable difference.

I could of course ask the original author to modify the font-size, or I or
someone else could do it directly. Personally I would prefer to focus on
the more serious issues first.

> Issue 2
> -------
>
> line 19 widows: 1;
>  orphans: 1;
>
> I do not understand why widows and orphans have to be specified: is
> there a need to use, specify 1?

In this case it doesn't look like it's necessary.

> If/Assuming these declarations are
> needed, then shouldn't the test be flagged as paged?

The "paged" flag means "Only valid for paged media". I believe there is
one or more case where such declarations *are* needed, to allow for column
breaking after the first line and/or before the last line of a block. That
doesn't mean the tests aren't valid for non-paged media.

(The value of the "Media" line in CSS 2.1 for these properties is "visual,
paged", whereas css3-page has just "visual". As discussed on www-style,
these lines are not normative anyway.)

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA