Preliminary feedback, comments on multicol tests

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 15:37:07 -0400
Cc: "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>

Håkon encourages people to review the new tests in the multi-col test

Due to a coincidence involving clip-001 test, I examined a multicolumn
test and then examined more multicolumn tests.

I'll start with

line 10 div {
	font-family: ahem;
	font-size: 1em;
	line-height: 1em;

Issue 1

Font-size will compute to 16px which is not ideal, not good for creating
an associated reftest... because not dividable by 5px.

It must be said here that reftests, by definition [1], should be using
different features, different methods of achieving layout in order to
reduce risks of false positives. If computed font-size when using Ahem
font is not dividable by 5px, then accurate, reliable baseline alignment
positioning is not garanteed, is not good.

Issue 2

line 19	widows: 1;
	orphans: 1;

I do not understand why widows and orphans have to be specified: is
there a need to use, specify 1? If/Assuming these declarations are
needed, then shouldn't the test be flagged as paged?

The default is

    Value:  	<integer> | inherit
    Initial:  	2

    Value:  	<integer> | inherit
    Initial:  	2

I see the occurences of issue 1 and issue 2 in many multicolumn tests.

[1]: "The reference file uses a different method to produce the same
rendering as the test file. (...) it is necessary to use features that,
although different from the tested features"

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: