Re: first-line-selector-009 invalid or the spec should change (a comment included)

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:15:12 -0400
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>

Le Mer 28 mars 2012 1:14, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu a écrit :
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/xhtml1/first-line-selector-009.xht

[RC6]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/first-line-selector-009.htm

> This test asserts "First-line does not allow the float, border or
> direction properties." As far as I can tell, CSS 2.1 doesn't say what
> properties *don't* apply to ::first-letter/::first-line

Some rather old Working Draft versions of the spec were stating
"*_Only_* the following properties apply to a :first-line pseudo-element
(...)" [1]

> but rather list
> properties that apply with "UAs may apply other properties as well."
> MAYs, which suck.
>
> Therefore, the test is probably invalid.

What could have been useful, helpful and worthy in order to
rescue/rehabilitate the test would be to find a browser that can render
one property on :first-line pseudo-element not mentioned in the list,
then create a test with such property, then add the "may" flag to the
test and edit the assert text accordingly.

> Having said that, the test is passed in all browsers and perhaps CSS 2.1
> should just say these don't apply to ::first-line and a future module
> can override this if there's implementation interest. (We really should
> just remove the MAYs.)

How about changing to:

"
Only the following properties apply to a :first-line pseudo-element in
CSS 2.1: font properties, color property, background properties,
'word-spacing', 'letter-spacing', 'text-decoration', 'text-transform',
and 'line-height'. A future level of CSS may add other properties.
"

[1]:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-CSS21-20030915/selector.html#first-line-pseudo

Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:
http://test.csswg.org/harness/

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: