first-line-selector-009 invalid or the spec should change (a comment included)

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:14:38 +0800
To: W3C CSS Test Suite <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/xhtml1/first-line-selector-009.xht

This test asserts "First-line does not allow the float, border or
direction properties." As far as I can tell, CSS 2.1 doesn't say what
properties *don't* apply to ::first-letter/::first-line but rather list
properties that apply with "UAs may apply other properties as well."
MAYs, which suck.

Therefore, the test is probably invalid.

Having said that, the test is passed in all browsers and perhaps CSS 2.1
should just say these don't apply to ::first-line and a future module
can override this if there's implementation interest. (We really should
just remove the MAYs.)

In case if there's still interest in keeping this case, I'll note that
'direction' has no effect whether it applies to '::first-line' or not.
The test case probably needs 'unicode-bidi: embed' and a change to the
text or 'unicode-bidi: bidi-override'. Or, it there other way to test
whether 'direction' applies or not in this case?

Cheers,
Kenny