Re: Format guidelines for tests (particularly HTML5)

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:04:50 -0400
To: "Linss, Peter" <peter.linss@hp.com>

Le Lun 16 avril 2012 13:14, Linss, Peter a écrit :
> On Apr 16, 2012, at 4:09 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
>> Dirk Schulze submitted a bunch of feedback on my CSS Transforms test
>> submissions, mostly stylistic:
>> <http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/testcase/abspos-1b#event-4>.  I'd like
>> to make sure that it's agreed upon and written down somewhere.  So
>> here are some issues:
>> 1) Tests in HTML format are accepted, but there's no template for
>> them.  The test format page <http://wiki.csswg.org/test/format> says
>> XHTML is preferred.  I suggest that it be changed to say that either
>> XHTML or HTML5 is preferred, and the following template be added:
>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>> <head>
>>  <title>CSS Test: DESCRIPTION OF TEST</title>
>>  <link rel="author" title="NAME_OF_AUTHOR" href="mailto:EMAIL OR
>> http://CONTACT_PAGE"/>
>>  <link rel="help" href="RELEVANT_SPEC_SECTION"/>
>> </head>
> Look reasonable to me. Just remove the trailing '/' on the link and meta
> elements.

Having the title attribute on the link to specification will help for
those using a site navigation bar. Firefox and Konqueror (and I think
Safari too) can display those.

>> Note that I removed the CDATA, and the type="text/css" (which is
>> should be used unless necessary, but it seems most people disagree
>> with me.  Given that, I'm okay with this template.
>> 2) Additionally, the guidelines should say that quotes on attribute
>> values shouldn't be omitted for HTML5.  Again, I prefer omitting
>> quotes for brevity, but it seems most people disagree.
> One of those situations where the extra safety wins over brevity.

It's not just about extra safety but about what specifications examples,
books, tutorials, magazines and HTML softwares actually do too.

>> 3) It should be more specific about indentation.  The template uses
>> one space for indentation; the tests I submitted use two spaces
>> (Mozilla's convention); Dirk prefers four.  Do we have a preference?
> I really don't want to get into yet another indentation thread

Was there ever a thread on indentation in this list?

, I'm sure
> there are some that prefer tabs as well. I think indentation is
> valuable, I don't think mandating a specific style is worth it. Just
> keep it readable and if you edit someone else's test, try to stay
> consistent.
>> 4) Dirk said that multiline <title>s cause problems for Shepherd.  If
>> this is so, should we make sure tests are formatted with one-line
>> <title>s or fix Shepherd?  (I usually break lines at 79 chars, which
>> is why I wrapped some of my <title>s to start with.)
> Note that Shepherd uses the test suite build code to extract metadata
> from the tests, so this looks like it's actually a bug in the build code
> (or possibly the HTML5 parser it uses). I'll look in to it. There
> shouldn't be a restriction on the number of lines the title takes up,
> but it should be kept brief.

Why title should be more than 60 or 80 characters long anyway? Title
text should be able to fit onto a browser titlebar. Exceeding that
limit, text will be replaced with ellipsis. The title text should not
replace the assert or comments in the code.

James Hopkins had a good system. He mentioned the property name, then an
hyphen and then a few other words like other property names.

<title>CSS Test: overflow - max-width and percentage</title>

<title>CSS Test: list-style-position - text-indent</title>

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: