RE: Acceptable reviewers

From: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:35:02 +0000
On Friday, April 13, 2012 12:54 PM Alan Stearns wrote:
> I have a question about tests in the 'Awaiting Review' state. The guidelines
> say that anyone familiar with the spec and the test guidelines can review
> tests, except for their own. Is it meant that each individual cannot review
> their own tests, or is the definition of 'their own' a bit broader?
> For example, Dirk Schulze and Rebecca Hauk from Adobe are working fairly
> closely on CSS3 Transforms tests, and are each submitting tests. Would it be
> acceptable for them to review each other's work? Should they instead find
> someone outside their immediate team (but perhaps still at Adobe)? Or is it
> required that they find someone outside Adobe to review their tests?

I do think they should review each other's work before submitting the cases to the W3C. It is up to the policies at submitting organization to decide that but it is a good practice and sometimes dumb mistakes can be eliminated early.

As for review for approval as an official W3C test case... That approval should be done by a person outside the submitting organization to eliminate any conflict of interest or common assumptions that may occur due to the working relationships within an organization.

Arron Eicholz