Re: [CSS21] z-index-020 test case is invalid

On Wednesday 2011-10-26 00:23 +0000, Arron Eicholz wrote:
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/z-index-020.htm

> Looking at this logic it seems as if the second reference for the
> test case is incorrect for the test. Since the outline is painted
> in step 7.3 it paints before the inline-block and thus will be
> behind the aqua background.

Based on attempting to read through Appendix E, I think you're right
about what Appendix E says.  (That said, either I'm misunderstanding
how appendix E works or I found a mistake [1] in it, so I'm not
particularly confident tonight.)  I'm not sure if the WG really
intended to forbid the option of drawing outlines in a step between
toplevel step (7) and toplevel step (8), though (a step like
toplevel step (10)), particularly given that
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/ui.html#dynamic-outlines
says:
  # This specification does not define how multiple overlapping
  # outlines are drawn, or how outlines are drawn for boxes that are
  # partially obscured behind other elements.

I think it's a reasonable alternative; it's the current behavior of
both Gecko and WebKit.

-David

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Oct/0750.html